"Eat like a king in the morning, like a peasant at lunchtime and like a beggar in the evening!" - Everyone knows the saying and yet at least of us live by it.
The question of whether breakfast is important and a basic requirement for losing weight is questionable. The internet is full of discussions and studies on this. I believe that breakfast is very important for a healthy and balanced diet.
However, every person has a different bio-rhythm and a different "eating rhythm".
There are people who ...
- ... enjoy your breakfast at home in peace with the family
- ... prepare your breakfast the evening before or early in the morning and then eat it at work
- ... skip your breakfast due to lack of time and motivation
- ... who replace their breakfast with a cigarette and coffee
- ... drive to the bakery and buy pastries and sandwiches there
- ... have shifted their eating rhythm due to late bedtime. They usually don't eat their breakfast until lunchtime - around 17 p.m. for lunch and around 22 p.m. their dinner.
Category A is of course the variant that each of us should aim for. Myself, during the week I usually belong to those people who live according to variant B, as I can usually only eat something between 8 am and 9 am and at this point have long been out of the house. Since I don't need that much food in the early morning, a green or red homemade smoothie is often enough. I can prepare this wonderfully the evening before and store it in the refrigerator overnight. Then there is a handful of nuts or a wholemeal bread topped with turkey breast, tomato and lettuce.
Skipping breakfast completely in the morning is an absolute no-go for me. Why? With a healthy and wholesome breakfast, you lay the foundation for the day. If you skip breakfast, you run the risk of ravenous hunger attacks in the late morning. This is then usually fought with candy, chocolate or other sugary foods.
Why do many people skip breakfast?
- no time -> the time is better spent in the bathroom or in bed
- no motivation / desire to prepare breakfast in the early morning
- no ideas for a delicious breakfast -> too little thought is given
- the refrigerator is empty and was not filled the day before -> too lazy to shop
A regular meal plan means good organization. I sit down every 2-3 days and write down what I want to eat for the next few days. Accordingly, I then shop according to my plan. That was not the case before. Here I go to the bakery more often and buy sandwiches. In addition there was often a particle, because when you stand in front of it, it is difficult to resist -> In the long run expensive and also unhealthy!
However, something can be done about all of these points
- Set the alarm 15 minutes earlier.
- Breakfast can be prepared the evening before and stored in the refrigerator overnight.
- The internet is full, with delicious and, above all, quick recipes. Here you can always find new ideas.
Reasons in favor of breakfast
- The body does not get anything to eat during bedtime and accordingly switches to the back burner. With breakfast we signal to the body that there is no hunger phase and the metabolism is stimulated again.
- The body needs food to "function" - those who have breakfast early in the morning are more productive.
- Having breakfast will reduce the risk of food cravings.
- If you have breakfast at home with your family / partner in the morning, you will start the day more calmly and happily.
Breakfast ideas for at home
- Quark, nuts, fruit (seasonal fruit tarts), puffed amaranth (available from dm)
- Porridge (pour hot water on tender oat flakes), fruit, nuts
- Omlette & whole grain bread (egg, feta, cress, mushrooms, tomatoes)
Breakfast ideas for the office
- Smoothie (various types of vegetables can be used here ... for example: beetroot, lemon, grapes, apples, banana ...)
- Milkshake - homemade shake with banana, oat flakes and quark
- Raw vegetables with sandwiches (cold cuts / lettuce leaf / tomato / cucumber)
- Tuna, egg, radish salad with orange and cress
It is especially important for us lipedema patients to have a healthy and regular meal plan. Be careful not to have too big gaps between meals. Better to have 3–4 meals, but make the meals a little smaller and keep the time window between meals about the same / small.
I hope some points convinced you to have breakfast regularly in the morning. It doesn't have to be a big meal. If you don't want to “eat / chew” anything in the early morning, you can also grab a self-mixed smoothie - a great vitamin bomb for the body. Find the best solution for you to start the day well!
It's a shame that terms like "back burner" and "boost metabolism" are used here, where Caroline otherwise seems to be a fan of "overcoming fat logic" ... If you don't want breakfast, you shouldn't force yourself to do it, with or without lipedema!
we are six different girls. The opinions or findings can sometimes differ 🙂 Let's see whether the nutritional advice can be influenced by the book. So thank you for your attentive eye 🙂